Saturday, April 26, 2014

Herbs for constipation

I have checked out this informative article on herbs for constipation which I find useful as it resonates with my experiences in treating this symptom over the years. I noted that "the gentlest remedies for constipation include increased movement and exercise, certain yoga postures, increase of fluid intake, and dietary changes including increased fiber and fruit... And prune juice may be the most effective and gentlest remedy for constipation." Yes, I can testify to the effectiveness of prune juice which I have been drinking every other morning, mixing it with half a cup with warm water, which helps maintain regularity every two or three days on average, which I believe is normal for me. I have stopped eating yoghurt for the time being though, as I think the cold food may have caused running nose symptoms in the mornings, and besides, prune juice works fine for me. 

I have also taken natural bulk laxative such as psyllium, if I remember correctly, occasionally in the past, and like what the article says, I needed to drink a lot of water for this gentle laxative to do its work properly.

I noted that the mild herbal laxatives include dandelion root, chickweed and yellow dock root tincture, whereas purgative herbs include "aloe, buckthorn, cascara sagrada, rhubarb, and senna... which should be used only as a last resort". I also learnt that "Kathi Kevilles approach is to combine the irritant herbs with tasty ones like peppermint, ginger, and fennel, that also relax the intestines and prevent cramping." Yes, I have been drinking a cleansing herbal tea occasionally recently which is the Pukka nettle, peppermint and fennel tea, and I believe it helps maintain regularity and prevent constipation too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes on Inner Qi seminar

Inner Qi seminar Aligning your sub-conscious for health, wealth and happiness - Master CK "Yellow emperor's inner classi...