Friday, November 25, 2011

Choice of healthy cooking oils

My family has been buying mainly canola oil for cooking for the past year or so, as it is commonly sold in supermarkets and labelled as healthy.

Recently, I came to find out that canola oil isn't as healthy as it is claimed to be.

Natural News website has a video on it (as shown in below link). The Health Ranger recommends natural healthy oils, such as:
- coconut oil
- extra virgin olive oil
- avocado oil
- flaxseed oil (to be used in moderation though, as cautioned in this website)
- peanut oil

Are you eating pesticides? Canola oil a great insect killer - NaturalNews.tv
Fats That Can Be Safely Heated
Butter and tropical fats - coconut, palm, palm kernel, cocoa, and shea nut - are safest for frying, because they contain only small quantities of Essential Fatty-Acids ( EFA's ). The saturated fatty acids contained in these fats / oils are inert and therefore heat stable. Heat does not destroy them in the same way it destroys EFAs. Butter and tropical Fats are best used unhydrogenated. Only small amounts should be eaten, as they are sticky, hard, saturated fatty acid-containing fats.

(most oils and fats once high heated become carcinogens . - LRU) Tropical oils got a bad reputation for increasing cholesterol and triglyceride levels that supposedly cause cardiovascular disease. An unconfirmed rumor suggests that the soy bean industry financed the successful campaign against tropical fats to kill imports and increase soy bean sales. Tropical oils used in their country of origin have been shown in several studies to decrease cholesterol levels. The difference in results may be due to several causes: deterioration in tropical oils during storage ( oxidation; processing hydrogenation ) ; differing experimental design; or a combination of the above. Raw tropical oils are rich sources of vitamin E and tocotrienols, which help protect arteries from damage leading to cardiovascular disease ( CVD ) . Olive oil imported from Italy is safe for baking but not for frying or deep frying. Buy only imported Italian olive oil as it is cold processed by law.
Before you read the following article, here is a summary of a few facts regarding Canola Oil:
  • It is genetically engineered rapeseed.
  • Canada paid the FDA the sum of $50 million to have rape seed registered and recognized as "safe". (Source: Young Again and others)
  • Rapeseed is a lubricating oil used by small industry. It has never been meant for human consumption.
  • It is derived from the mustard family and is considered a toxic and poisonous weed, which when processed, becomes rancid very quickly.
  • It has been shown to cause lung cancer (Wall Street Journal: 6/7/95)
  • It is very inexpensive to grow and harvest. Insects won't eat it.
  • Some typical and possible side effects include loss of vision, disruption of the central nervous system, respiratory illness, anemia, constipation, increased incidence of heart disease and cancer, low birth weights in infants and irritability.
  • Generally rapeseed has a cumulative effect, taking almost 10 years before symptoms begin to manifest. It has a tendency to inhibit proper metabolism of foods and prohibits normal enzyme function. Canola is a Trans Fatty Acid, which has shown to have a direct link to cancer. These Trans Fatty acids are labeled as hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Avoid all of them!
  • According to John Thomas' book, Young Again, 12 years ago in England and Europe, rape seed was fed to cows, pigs and sheep who later went blind and began attacking people. There were no further attacks after the rape seed was eliminated from their diet.
  • Someone commented in this website:
    "Monied interests truly run the show behind the scenes of the food industry. And health authorities, with their gleaming mantel of official legitimacy, are like the sleazy patrons of these slimy corporate mercenaries...kind of reminds one of those bad old days where the rich and powerful hold sway over the minds and lives of the common folk."

    Someone in this blog wrote: 
    "I don't know what you'll be cooking with tonight, but I'll be using olive oil or the very healthy alternative Coconut oil."

    On a similar note, I can relate to a testimony shared by someone in this website Danger In The Kitchen:Is Canola Oil Bad For You? because I too had experienced knee joint pains occasionally, especially in the past few years. I have stopped buying canola oil since, although the knee joint pains somehow continue to occur occasionally, perhaps less frequently than before - I am suspecting the knee joint pains could be due to long-term fluoride ingestion from toothpastes and mouthwash, but that's another blog for now.
    Paul November 9, 2009 at 12:22 am
    I would like to relate my personal experience after using canola oil for over 10 years. My wife and I love popcorn and 5 nights a week we would pop the corn and enjoy our treat using canola oil because it said had no cholesterol.
    After many years of using canola oil I had noticed yellow in the whites of my eyes and was concerned as the yellow indicates a liver issue. I am not a drinker nor do I abuse my body, my motto is to be moderate in all things including moderation. In the spring of 2002, I could barely walk as my knees were very inflamed. The inflammation started in my right knee and 3 weeks later my left knee. Going up stairs was so painful I wanted to cry. Some days were worse than others. In the fall of 2004 I was taking a medical course and the doctor presenting the course ask as a side note if anyone was using canola oil? He suggested anyone using the oil to change as canola oil blocks the function of the liver and causes the toxins to backup. These toxins would cause inflammation to the joints of the body as our body tries to clear those toxins. At the time I did not know want kind of oil we used. I called my wife and she told me we used canola oil and sure enough when I got home that night I found a gallon bottle in our cabinet. I changed our use that night and over the next 3 weeks my knee issues went away. It took 3 months for the yellow in the whites of my eyes to clear. To this day, I ask whenever I am at a restaurant what kind of oil they use. Sometimes I am served something cooked in canola oil and my knees will ache for the next 3 days. Another thing I have noticed, if served canola oil, I will have intestinal gas after 30 to 40 minutes of digestion. I am watchful of any food prepared with canola oil.
    Earlier this year I went so far as to write the Canola oil board in Canada, the Ministry of health in Canada as well as the FDA asking for copies of any long term human studies. I was informed there have been no long term studies.
    Last month I was on a Celebrity cruise ship and asked the top chef what kind of oil they use as I have problems with canola oil and cannot use it. He stated to me they will not use canola oil as it causes joint problems. I was very surprised to hear that from him and asked where he got his information? He stated with as many senior people on the ships, they had many complaints and will not use the oil.
    Please pay attention to the use of this oil!
    Thank you,
    Paul
    Meanwhile, the research goes on... 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Notes on Inner Qi seminar

    Inner Qi seminar Aligning your sub-conscious for health, wealth and happiness - Master CK "Yellow emperor's inner classi...